The sign

The sign
Thanks Dad !

Saturday 28 July 2012

Number 26 (part 4) an unexpected opportunity

Easter weekend found us heading to Wales. Snowdonia to be precise as JGS and I had randomly decided that we needed to climb Snowdon. JGS had never been up Snowdon, whereas most of my family holidays in this country involving climbing something (Snowdon/Ben Nevis/ Scafell Pike and so on). So on Good Friday we packed up the tent and the car and off we went. It took us a while to get there.Partly because I stopped paying attention on the motorway (I wasn't driving- I was trying to crochet) and we came off the M6 too early and went the long way round the West Midlands to Shrewsbury. Oh it was like Landy Rally all over again ! 
We had decided to go up the Rhyd Ddu path and camp in Beddgelert . I have known the story of Beddgelert since I was a child. I had a lovely book and shed many a tear over the story.
Anyways- we got to the campsite and found a little pitch and set up camp. I feel I must justify our choice of campsite. A couple of years ago after a really wet 4 days in Coniston we packed up Gert and headed over to the other side of the Lakes. To Ravenglass to be precise. The only campsite was an official Camping and Caravanning Club site so we joined as it was cheaper to join and stay (is this making sense? I do seem to have gone off on a tangent here- but I feel I MUST see it through). We have never been to a club site since as they are not really our thing- but we still keep paying the membership (note to self- cancel this year) and as Snowdon was a last minute thing we took what we could find- which was here. I requested a forest pitch as the one in the photo looked lovely. When we got there and I asked for the forest pitch a la photo, I was told that 'the forest was cut down to make the campsite'. We did find a little spot near the stream though and as it was too cold for mozzies we set up camp.
And then came the best bit- ration packs for tea!! We took ration packs on the rally with us because they were so convenient (and deliciously tasty). Although I realise that maybe the veggie version does not translate well in bold technicolour.....
It was really lovely- honest.
Shall I move on? We sat and listened to the rain for a bit then tucked ourselves in ready for Snowdon Saturday.

Saturday morning was dry and not too cold. We drove to the car park and set off. Judging by the cars in the car park- there were already quite a few people out and about.It took us about 5 hours to get up and down. I did find it quite hard going near the top and there was quite a bit of snow around. It was cloudy and overcast at the top- for which I was grateful as I do not like being able to see the sheer drop ! We had thought about getting the train down (there is a mountain railway) but it turned out that the railway and the cafe were closed. As we were nearing the top there were a lot of grumpy people coming back down moaning about not being able to get a hot chocolate.

At the top there were hundreds of people sitting outside the (closed) cafe.

And on the way back down we stopped for a little snack and a hot drink.
On the way down I could appreciate the view more and see just how quickly the cloud came down and then vanished. It was so quick- by the time I had got my phone out to take the photo- the cloud had started to lift.
I have just realised that because I have taken so long to blog about this it all feels rather flat now as I write. Also, we did march up and down at a fairly quick pace so there were no real photo opportunities and although it was dry it was rather cold in places and my fingers stopped working. When we got back down we drove into Beddgelert for some refreshment (my fingers made a miraculous recovery) Cheers ! Happy Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment